Saturday, March 20, 2010

Just a small point of view in a ocean of mud

                    What a strange trip this has been. I never wanted it. I always dreamed of doing something better.  Well for better or worse this is what I do. I work as a low-level employee in a major hospital. My mom was a nurse for over forty years. I was practically raised in the hospital. I have worked in hospitals for the better part of thirty years. I enjoy my job. I love taking care of and helping the patients. I know what it is like from both sides of the stretcher. I have been a patient, a family member of a patient, and finally as the employee. So i feel I have  a unique perspective on healthcare reform.

              First of all I live in the state of  Massachusetts. We already require everyone to have health insurance. The state provides  plans that for all intent and purposes are affordable, and secondly that you must purchase one of the plans.If you don’t purchase one then the state fines you  six hundred dollars. The plans cost anywhere from  forty to one hundred and fifty dollars per month. What each plan provides depends on what you pay.Lower cost equals lower quality.

           In this state we all heard the same  hype.It will cost millions. It will penalize those that already have insurance. It is socialized medicine. Guess what?  None of it ever  happened.  We all survived and the system rolled on. Will that be the case with the federal plan. Do not have a clue. All  I do know is that I don’t believe the hype.                                                                                                     

           My next point is that I don’t believe that the government should get involved. Why? because have you ever seen a veteran’s hospital. It so overloaded and bureaucratic it is hard to help the patients. I know because I have seen it. My mom’s favorite line about healthcare used to be. If it is logical and is common sense. Don’t do it ! But if it totally illogical and makes no sense at all.  Full speed ahead. That is the healthcare system. 

           When you’re sick and a patient waiting  for help. The delay is excruciating. You look around and other people who don’t look as sick as you are getting help.You aren’t and that stinks. I tell people who come to the hospital, and are waiting for help just .multiply everything that we say by three. If someone says to you’ be with you in a few minutes’. That’s an hour wait at least. We already work in a flawed system. The government thinks they can fix this. No not going to happen. Their solution is going to make it worse. because they are about to dump thirty million more people into this system. I am telling you then just multiply every thing we tell you by six.

         Do I have a solution to this immense problem? Don’t know, but if they want to help. Why not start an incentive plan for the individual states to have plans like  we do in Massachusetts. Maybe give them some subsidizing.  Could work out to be cheaper than nine hundred forty billion.

        Just a small fish’s perspective in a giant ocean of muddy waters

[Via http://sms931.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment